Mod App how to basic guide

Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2017/02/26 02:11:29
Ok let me preface this first. Obviously Im not a Staff member and therefore am not wholly qualified to tell you how to write an app, and obviously if a staff member wants to add to this, or thinks I ought to change something, feel free to do so. But Ive seen a lot of staff apps recently that make the same mistakes, so I thought hopefully they read this, before making one.

1: Use the format! Creating your own app the way you want is fine, of course, and its usually a good thing to add ones own flair to it, but BEFORE you start writing what you want fill out the format first. Post the application the way you are supposed to, THEN do a little bit writing the way you want.

2: Make it Detailed! Add in details! if you fill out the format, but us only one or two sentences for each area, you are more likely to be overlooked or -1ed because people dont know who you are. Make your app detailed, and write it as grammatically correct as you can. Do I use 100% accurate grammar? No. I type a certain way online, and it gives a personality to my words on the screen, I dont look like bland words on the screen. Instead of hi, i type Hai. And lots of people do this. But for a mod app, the forums gives you the little red lines that you can right click on, and correct any mistakes. Use it!

3:Detailed, Yes. boring, No. Making an app several paragraphs is fine, as long as they are all relevant to the app, and you feel them necessary. But DONT write one giant run together thing full to the brim of extra details that dont really add to your app. Wanna get personal, and talk personal reasons for why you want staff? Fine, do it. I do it, and so do plenty others. But dont make it boring! A huge long app all run together with no defined sections will intimidate people and ill make them unwilling to read it. Believe me I know, Ive done it before myself. Just use some common sense when you write it.

4: Dont be so edgy. Every so often I see apps that have sarcastic side remarks, or people get upset hen they get a -1. Dun dew it. People that leave a -1 with a legitimate reason, and arent making fun of you are offering constructive criticism to help you out for the next time, they arent there to belittle or insult you!

5: Time. Sometimes when people dont feel an app has enough comments, or is going poorly, they let it sink, and and make another one. and another. and another. Let your apps stay for awhile, give people time to come around. Sometimes people change their votes, or new people vote after awhile. So let it be, dont be afraid to give it a bump every week or so. (dont do that to often though, or it becomes spam.)

6: Playtime. SOOOOO many new players make mod apps a day, or 3 days, or a week, or 2 weeks after they join. I hate to tell you this, but unless you are just a miracle of god, odds are that the owner, the staff, and most players wont +1 you, simply because you havent been here that long. Many times you will get a -1 because theyve never even seen you. Give yourself time. Make sure you really want to commit to the server, let people come to know you, assure them at you are mature, and likable, and responsible. Rushing straight for mod simply isnt going to work unless staff takes a very special notice in you. And if that DOES happen, dont rub it in anyones face, accept the attention gracefully and calmly.

6: Have fun! Being a staff member isnt everything. For one, you have to be very dedicated, and two, its hard! I havent been staff here specifically, but I know enough of them to know that it can be stressful, and tiring, and sometimes is difficult to stick to or be 100% nice about. To be staff people have to know you are mature enough to handle the responsiblities, and that is harder than it sounds. So dont worry about a staff position all the time, just sit and enjoy playing with the community! Relax and have a good time, and if you get chosen to be a staff member, be grateful for the opportunity. do I object to staff, and think you shouldnt look to it as a goal? No of course not, Its a goal of mine to. But I do think its not something to stress about or obsess over. Just have a good time and everything will work out ok in the end :)

I hope this was of some help. Staff add anything if you want, and most of you know me, so if you think I need to change something just ask :P

baiii
-loku
Image Perso
Creeper1538 (BANG)
Date sent: 2017/02/28 07:31:40
This app was very detailed but - 469 because I want I_am_choi_boi to be owner @_@
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2017/03/29 06:26:49
someone mentioned this post to me today, which I thought was pretty kewl. So ima add on to it xP It probably wont be a mod app how to guide. Now itll just be my experiences with staff and.....idk whatever else I decide to add. No one commented before, and thats ok, I just hope anyone who reads it finds it at least mildly helpful.

So, anyways. In the last section I mentioned that it can be hard to be 100% nice as a staff member.
Id like to add on to that, being a staff member is actually really hard. See, when you are a staff member, you arent there JUST to play. You cant turn off chat, you cant sit and grind for hours, you have to be paying attention ALL the time, so that if there is an issue you can deal with it. Its almost like a volunteer job. And it can be stressful. Everyone has biases, it cant be helped, and that goes for staff to. They have to fight against whatever bias they might have and try to deal with issues as a COMPLETELY neutral party, which is hard to do.

And sometimes, a staff member will get stressed. And they start to look on it as a chore, and they might get cross with players. So if a staff member is short with you, seemingly without reason, dont take it to heart, most of the time they are stressed, or just having a bad day. And DO NOT get salty and whiny on the forums, because then theyll actually get pissed, and if you did anything wrong, theyll call you on it. So accept it with some grace, and maybe say something nice. For all you know, it could make all the difference in the world.

But theres more, it doesnt end there. If things go on long enough, sometimes a staff member takes a break. They might go inactive, they might disable chat, or they might simply pretend they arent staff for awhile. If you need help and a staff member wont help, its ok to be mad, because you want your issue solved. But again, dont lose your cool on the forums (speaking from experience) because it doesnt fix anything, and if the issue is a large one, they will usually help out, on break or not. But if its minor, and can wait, theres no need to pester them. You can ask again later, or wait on another staff member.

All this isnt to say you cant say anything about them on the forums though. Some even open threads for the community to leave feedback, such as "admin applications" when they are mods. And obviously, if you have evidence or have some concerns, you can raise them on the forums, although do so politely and without anger, or things will go against you and no one will listen near as much than if you were calm. I seriously doubt you would have any such issues with our current staff though, all of them are gud peoples :P

Thats it for todays comment, If you think I should keep going, or talk about new shtuff, lemme know. Maybe Ill remake it on the generals section to talk about things like this that arent staff related, idk itll depend on any feedback might get :P

-Loku
Image Perso
Zedcall
Date sent: 2017/03/29 07:11:27
Keep going
Image Perso
JamesSkullBlood
Date sent: 2017/05/02 11:21:08
I know it been a while since you made this post but here a bump
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2017/05/03 02:07:17
O
thanks for le bump james, been ages since I saw this post xP didnt get much feedback so I let it die. Thanks for the bump on my app as well btw.
:D
Image Perso
Michael9999995
Date sent: 2017/05/03 23:05:47
-1 i don't think you are right for the job of telling others how to make a good mod app...i think minoi is tho
Image Perso
CaptainSpaceSheep
Date sent: 2017/06/04 07:09:27
Bump
Image Perso
Aouldrain
Date sent: 2017/06/07 03:01:46
bumping my appeal.
Image Perso
CaptainSpaceSheep
Date sent: 2017/06/07 08:57:21
Bumping my suggestion.
Image Perso
PumpkinPiePhD
Date sent: 2017/06/13 14:50:51
I have seen many misconceptions about being staff and how to become staff and I wanted to help clear them up. I am writing not just as a player on Webbcraft, but as a former applicant and former mod.
Let me start off with what being staff really means. It is not all kicks and bans- the staff members of Webbcraft have all put a part of their life into the server to help it improve. They help make the decisions that keep the server running and free of problems. When dealing with a situation they must use their brains to organize all of the information given to them and become detectives to search for the truth. Upon gathering all of the data they will make an unbiased decision for a punishment.

Bias is an important part of being a staff member. All of the members of staff are expected to be unbiased in their actions. This can be hard due to the fact that they are all human, but once they have become staff, they have eliminated bias when it comes to punishment.

Also I was going to write this exact same post so thanks :)
Image Perso
Presinus
Date sent: 2017/07/09 04:40:47
-1 Loki failed to use the proper format, therefore cannot follow simple orders. Tsk tsk!
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2017/07/09 18:42:56
Did you actually READ the post presinus?
this isnt a mod app. It was a guide/commentary on being staff. If you want to comment on my actual app, go find it, although it has already been accepted.
ploob xP
Image Perso
Presinus
Date sent: 2017/07/11 03:08:01
-1 Loki abuses caps in the word "read," therefore cannot follow basic rules. Tsk tsk!
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2017/07/11 04:17:27
ima ignore you now.
Image Perso
Anglina4450
Date sent: 2017/08/16 10:58:48
bump
Image Perso
Presinus
Date sent: 2017/08/16 15:50:24
-1 Loki ignores citizen and therefore cannot be open-minded. Tsk tsk!
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2017/10/27 20:54:55
pres is a nub

Been thinking of updating this post got more to add to it. So ima bump it and see if anyone wants me to
hah
rekt
Image Perso
Presinus
Date sent: 2017/10/28 02:27:18
-1 Loki calls citizens names, therefore is too rude and immature to be staff. Tsk tsk!
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2017/10/28 13:20:50
<3
nub
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2018/04/28 12:04:37
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII this post. I was scrolling through the forums and randomly found this and took a look, and I daresay its time for an update!

Things have changed so much since I wrote this. With the initial post, I was still a regular player. With my second, I was a mod. And now, I am the Owner.

Advancing from player to owner has been quite the journey, and my viewpoint has changed drastically. I was prepared going in for things to be difficult, and that I didnt yet know just how much work went in to running the server. Even so, it still caught me off guard, and I began to gain an understanding for why Luigi got inactive sometimes, and appeared to always ignore people. Or why staff suddenly up and disappear one day.

It was never that Luigi was intentionally ignoring chat. Just being on the server can sometimes feel like a chore. When the owner is online, that person now being me, he isnt always online to simply be there. Oftentimes, as soon as I join I am bombarded with people questions and needs, sometimes basic things that mods could have done that they waited to ask me specifically, this on top of the Owner-level requests for things to be done, such as world edit questions, donation questions, mod app/interview questions, or whatever else comes up. So, while Im interacting with the players as much as I can, as I have no desire to disconnect from the community and its people, Im doing serverside work such as exploring issues with ranks and permissions, sorting out little kinks in someones permission tree, looking into how to implement new features or ideas I have. When I take a break from that, Im forcing myself to work on personal or server related projects, such as my islands or the Jail. This is to ensure I dont fall prey to the boredom that has claimed many staff members in the past, who get bored and run out of things to do, and so getting on to staff becomes little more than unpaid and underappreciated work.

There is all this, and much more. I have prided myself on never disappearing, and very rarely have I intentionally hid from players with vanish while online with the intent of taking a break where I dont have to worry about staffing. I dont like doing that, as the community I now lead isnt something I should hide from but be a part of. Ultimately, despite Owner permissions and prefix, I am still just a regular player. I enjoy getting on to play checkers with people, or joke around, engage in banter and call shad a nerd and Vi a bagel, etc etc. And on the occasions where I play something on steam instead of minecraft, I have never refused anyone from joining me in games I play such as Supreme Commander 2, and indeed I have a small group of mostly people from mush that have the game and play every so often, extending the community BEYOND just minecraft, interaction outside of the server.

And this, I feel should be the goal of ANY staff member. To get to the point of this post, which is a Mod App how-to, I still pretty much stand by everything Ive already said on this thread, and you can read my advice above to see what it is Ive said.

But to go deeper than "follow the format, but keep it unique" or "keep people engaged, help them get to know you as a person better" or "remember that nonbias is one of THE most important aspects of being staff" etc etc....NEVER. and I mean NEVER, try for a staff position if your intent is one of gaining power, or attaining a level above everyone else. Defaults and citizens are just as important and capable as Architects, and every rank from Default to Owner is equally important. We are all people, playing a game. Your goal as a staff member is not to rise above, but to sink below, to bow your head in an acknowledgement of the community you serve, and your responsibility to help manage and guide it in a fair and just manner.

Im pretty sure I saw something like this in a quote somewhere, and if not similar things surely exist, so I dont claim full credit for this line but; An average leader believes his team serves him. A great leader KNOWS that it is he who serves HIS team, not the other way around.
Much as it is my duty to lead the staff I assist and guide, keep things balanced, making the duties they perform as easy and streamlined as possible, ensure they are doing well, taking personal interest in their wellbeing as much as they will allow me, even as they perform the job they are assigned and do the best they can in full knowledge that if they abuse their power they will lose it, it is the duty of EVERY staff member to lead the community by example. You manage the players without feeling yourself above them, and helping them is a privilege, even at the moment when they confront you and drive yOu uP tHe bLoOdy waLL.

In short, or for those who looked at this and skipped to the end for a TLDR summary: In addition to the aspects of actually applying, you must have the right mindset. You are here to help the server and keep it orderly, while still knowing you and the people you lead are one and the same, and have the same basic human rights to stand up to mistreatment calmly and maturely, and set the example for those who struggle, and to help those who have need of you.

There is much more, so much more I could talk about but I believe that I have made this post long enough. If anyone thinks I should continue, you can let me know in the comments. Hope to see you all soon on the server!

-Loki.
Image Perso
ckvoss
Date sent: 2018/04/28 15:55:40
Image Perso
MaxWreck
Date sent: 2018/05/03 01:13:21
I thought i could add my 2 cents since a few years ago i was the guy in charge of hiring staff in a movie theatre.

When you apply for a job (in this case, a Mod app), you want the manager to be convinced that you are the best candidate for the role. In other words, you want someone genuine, honest and that you can trust.
I don't have the infused science of how to be the best in a mod app since it is very different, but here's what i think can advantage you or disadvantage you.

What you should focus on :
- Bullet points. Someone that doesn't know you wants to know as much as possible, as fast as possible. That doesn't mean that you should avoid details. Just like this exact point, i start with my point, then explain it.
- Focus on the positive aspect of yourself.
You want to look like you are the best for the job. Show what you are good at and what you are working on. Working on something doesn't mean that you are bad at this particular thing.
- After you wrote down your app, read it as if it was someone else's.
Be very critic and try to best yourself with what you just wrote down.

What to avoid :
- Recommended things on the internet.
Name something negative about you, a flaw.
Well, i would say that i'm perfectionnist.

If you say that, you look like an idiot who can't even tell to someone who he actually is. Simply don't lie about yourself, you won't go anywhere with that.

So yeah, this is a short and sweet run down of what i think people should focus on. Sorry Loki if i repeated what you said =D
Image Perso
Presinus
Date sent: 2018/05/03 01:52:51
^ Many people mention their own flaws on their mod app, and though it's nice to know they're honest, it looks really bad on the app.
Image Perso
MaxWreck
Date sent: 2018/05/03 02:11:21
Yes Pres, exactly. There is a difference between "I'm bad a something" and "I'm trying to improve on something".

The difference seems small, but when you try to improve on something, it means that you actually realized your "flaw" and that you try to improve as a person.
Image Perso
loki570023
Date sent: 2018/05/04 15:21:47
No problem at all Max, this post is meant to be a helpful tool to players looking for advice about their apps. All feedback and additions to the post are welcome provided they are actually about the topic of the post. Ill probably be deleting the joke comments soon lol.
Image Perso
Diamond_Launcher
Date sent: 2018/05/28 06:36:50
Add In Lots Of Detail!
Some people just right a few sentences and think that they will definitely get mod but that's completely wrong. You need to say as much detail about yourself as possible so people get to know what kind of person you are and how you benefit the server.

Be Yourself
Always be yourself when you write mod apps. Don't ever say things that aren't true. For example:

How Many Times Have You Been Banned?
Never have been, never will be.

What if it turns out you've been banned on lots of different servers. You may get premoted onto the staff team but you'll get kicked out from the stuff team as soon as you join because you might abuse commands (eg). What is the point on that? If you speak the truth and say how many times you have been banned then people will get the full aspect of you. This means you can prove that you have changed instead of being a liar.
Image Perso
CCShad
Date sent: 2018/10/01 16:07:24
Bump
Image Perso
Ranthar
Date sent: 2018/10/02 01:31:37
denied, please use the correct format.

Register or Log in to use the forum